Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: thanks, already purchased some

Slave Labour note.

I lived in Wenzhou, China for a year. This city is a manufacturing one. I get the idea of avoiding slave labour (or the Communist government) but please not that while the wages are very low compared to the US - the cost of living is also very low compared to the US. So they may actually live better on their wage than people in the US making $7.25 which is the Minimum wage in the US (and has been since 2009).

I could buy a tummy-filling breakfast of 2 large Pork and Cabbage BAO for $0.50. Chinese Minimum wage is around $2-$2.50 US depending on the region.

Moreover, not buying from China generally only hurts the working poor over there. $2 sucks but it's better than being out of work because they have fewer safety nets than western countries.

It's tough because I don't want to support businesses that exploit workers - but then I also avoid plenty of American companies for the same reasons as well as companies that go against my ethical and political values.

I'll never buy from The Home Depot for example.

Edits: 10/13/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.