Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Cambridge Azur 640

I understand what you're saying now about the Onkyo. I have measured the frequency and power responses, and they are very flat. They also image exceptionally well for a unit with a single power supply. Notably better than the NAD, in fact. One thing I do have against the C350, and probably the other NAD's is that the input capacitance is rather high, spec'd at over 400 pF. A lot of sources (Sony CD players, for example) hate that much capacitance. The Onkyo receiver is buffered right at the input jacks and has very low input capacitance. I think this has something to do with the smooth and non-sibilent highs. I did modify the CD input circuitry, as that alone of all the inputs had quite high input capacitance. Looks to me like the designers, in their zeal to bypass as much circuitry as possible with the CD Direct input, threw the baby out with the bathwater. Moving the pickoff point for the CD Direct signal path to after the CD input buffer, reduced the capacitance to under 30 pF, so the interconnect became the dominent source of capacitance. I use a 12", 25 pF interconnect with the Rotel, and I think it pays off. This had the effect of significantly smoothing the highs and got rid of a hard, bright edge in the CD inputs. What used to be called "glare".

I really want to thank you guys for the inputs and advice you've all contributed.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Cambridge Azur 640 - Bold Eagle 19:18:10 12/18/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.