Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Cambridge Azur 640 Vs NAD

Gene,

Thanks for the reply. I am wondering about the highs. I borrowed a C350 from my son-in-law, and we noticed (as compared to my Onkyo Integra TX-870 receiver) that his C350 wasn't as natural sounding on the higher notes on piano and some cymbals. The initial transient seemed wrong by comparison. So that's one specific area.

Voices, particularly female, on the Onkyo seemed more natural as well, with less emphasis on sibilents. Area 2!

And finally, the C350 had tighter bass, and I'd like to not lose that if I get the Cambridge, so some specifics there would be helpful as well.

I'll be using the amp with a pair of JBL L-110 control monitors from the late 70's. It's a very smooth 10" three way system with ported bass, a 5" paper cone midrange, and a soft dome tweeter. Not at all the stereotypical JBL sound. Source will be a Rotel RCD-971 CD player. Rather warmer than a typical CD, and with a very smooth top end.

The Onkyo, JBL's, and the Rotel together have an almost ethereal quality in the mids and highs. I'd like a little more involvement than that, but not so much as the C350 gives. REally nice bass end, but a little too forward, and a little too clinical on the top end. I'm looking for a happy medium.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.