Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Cambridge Azur 640

I have tried a Stereo 70 with those speakers, and the bass control is missing. The speakers have fairly flat impedance and there are mid and treble controls, so those work OK with a tube amp. I go back to 1953 with this hobby, so I'm no stranger to tube amps. I also ran engineering labs in the 60's with all tube instrumentation and over a thousand tubes in it. I was pretty glad to see solid state come along. I have had a number of tube pieces since 1971 (when I got my first SS gear) but I really don't see what all the fuss is about. But then I didn't see what all the fuss was about when I had tubes and SS gear came out. It all really boils down to matching up the pieces to get the effect you want.

The JBL's I have sound more like Advents from the midbass up through the midrange and lower treble ranges. They are definitely not your sterotypical JBL in the mold of the L-100. Terms like transparent, subtle, liquid, come to mind.

I don't think I understand your comment on compression associated with the Onkyo. Please explain.

Jerry

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.