Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Help me pick SET monoblocks

I'm moving soon and need some help choosing the amps that will be the best fit. I've never owned an SET amp. I've had 6BQ5, EL84 and EL34 amps, push pull transistor, hybrid class A/ICE, and chip amps.

My new room will have corner speakers and amps. I picked SET friendly Audio Note J speakers. They are 93db, 6 ohm speakers, never go below 5 ohms, 7 watt minimum to 100 watt maximum power. Room is 15.4 x 12.8 feet. Listening position 2.5 meters from speakers. Calculators show 20 watt amp needed. A 10 watt Audio Note PP amp seems to be the most common amp sold with this speaker. I tested the speakers with an 8 wpc chip amp, fine at low volume, mush at higher volume, but this testing was done in a much larger room, 10,000 cubic feet.

The main goal is good performance on full orchestral without using a sub. The port is tuned to 29hz. I like detail and textured bass. I play most anything but fusion jazz and mid-sized classical pieces are my favorites.

The budget is up to $3000 completed. New or used, DIY or needing refurbishing - what do you recommend?.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Help me pick SET monoblocks - MylesJ 14:52:53 08/20/17 (129)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.