Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

My experience... YMMV

I own these. I find them... stunning.

Re: special amplification

They are not your standard set of headphones. The ribbons used only present a 0.2 ohm load! They do require special amplification. The basic configuration requires the use of a special interface box full of resistors (included with the headphones) to increase the resistance (and modify the response curve to increase the bass) along with a good *speaker* amp (typically at least 100W per channel). RAAL also makes a custom headphone amp, and Schiit has produced a custom headphone amp, both of which eliminate the need for the resistor box (and it's associated veil). I use the Schiit amp.

I have come to believe that *every* transducer (speakers, headphones, turntable cartridges) requires "special amplification". That is, that there is synergy required between transducers and amplifiers to make magic.

Re: comparisons
I have limited comparisons. I have only owned high impedance headphones from one manufacturer (Sennheiser, HD650 and HD800). I have in the past preferred the HD650 for when I want to rock'n'roll, and the HD800 for classical/jazz/acoustic.

But the RAAL is *special*. There is a clarity and reality to the sound that stuns me. Pianos sound *right*. Stringed instruments sound *right*. Recordings that I thought I knew well have details revealed to me that are exciting. They give me goosebumps.

They are not flawless. The ribbons have limited bass excursion; people who are "bass heads" cannot crank these without hitting their limits. They are also slightly tilted up in the treble region, which, combined with their transient speed, makes them a little relentless. However, the purely resistive load that they present means that they respond nicely to equalization; I use a very minor amount of parametric EQ in ROON that takes the edge off without losing the magic.

They are "open baffle". There is no isolation from the outside world, and the outside world will hear what you are playing. But that also means that they don't have earcups to generate odd resonances.

I find that they are not for "casual" listening. If I want something warm and cozy to fill the background while I read or play on the computer, these are not the headphones. They draw me into the music and soon I am just spinning discs instead. Fair warning. :)

Cerebrate!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.