Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

I remember Stereo review and Julian Hirsch very well

That's right, my experience goes all the way back to the day. Lots of people agreed that "Julian Hirsch never heard a component he didn't like", (well at least he didn't report any). In other words a positive review wasn't take seriously by audiophiles, including me.

Basically all you could take from a Hirsch review was that the design and performance of a product wasn't totally crap, but beyond that, not much. ASR's reviews are more in depth and I'd argue, relevant than Hirsch's back in the day. ASR's reviews are objective however but Amir doesn't claim that all components sound the same and he does often comment on the sound.

As for the Schiit Valhalla, I haven't heard it. Frankly if people like the Valhalla, perhaps they are just agreeing with Julian Hirsch that much distortion is inaudible and irrelevant. I don't have the opportunities to hear a series of devices before I make a purchase. In general if a component measures very will it will sound good, at least it will be clean, detailed, and transparent.

I personally value "clean, detailed, and transparent" well ahead of "warm, musical, and liquid" -- that's just me.

Dmitri Shostakovich

Edits: 08/22/19 08/22/19

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.