Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Refocusing on h/p listening: planar OR dynamic?

If you are interested in gaining air then I would not recommend any planar magnetics. The measurement for every model that I have seen shows a marked roll off in the treble. Even with the best. For example the new Mr. Speakers Ether 2 starts to roll off from 3kHz and is 10dB down by 10 kHz.

You have the DT880 Pro on your list. This has an impedance of 600 ohms and is very, very hard to drive for many headphone amps. The other two (non-Pro) variations ( 32 and 250 ohms respectively) should be easier loads. However on all there is a pronounced resonance at circa. 7kHz ( if I remember correctly)which makes the treble quite "zippy" on strings which puts this headphone out of play if you like classical music (I own a pair).

I am guessing from your selection the price point that you are interested in and my personal choice would be the venerable Sennheiser HD600 but with the cable for the HD650. The cables are interchangeable but you would need to buy the HD650 one as an extra.
"We need less, but better" - Dieter Rams

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Refocusing on h/p listening: planar OR dynamic? - PAR 04:16:21 07/31/19 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.