Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Just scored some Martin Logans

Speaking of all of these "barn finds" lately, I just struck gold and picked up a pair of Sequel II's this weekend for the extremely good deal of just a Grant. A mediocre dinner costs more these days. I'm as giddy as a drunken elf. ;-) I can't celebrate an early Christmas yet however, because they do have some issues, of course.

My wife was at an indoor "garage" sale, and came home with a bunch of clothes, which I quietly resented until she mentioned that there were a pair of speakers there also, and that I should go look at them. The suggestion (read: permission) to go and check them out alone was enough to exonerate the bags of clothes she brought in. I was a little surprised that she even told me about them, I knew that they had to be something special.

She said that they were "flat panels, about 6 feet tall, but they said that one of them is broken". So, I'm thinking older Magnepans probably (which would have been cool too, although a bit too much of a project for me right now), and started quizzing her. I asked if they were like mine, to which she replied "Kind of, but skinnier with a woofer box at the base and an outlet plug-in on the back". Electrostats, nice. "So, do you know how much they want for them"? "I think they're asking fifty bucks". I couldn't get out the door fast enough.

Sure enough, when I got to the sale a pair of Martin Logan Sequel IIs in pretty nice physical shape stood before me. These are great looking speakers. I only did a brief check-over before letting them know that I'd take 'em. I asked the ladies there if they knew any history behind them, hearing that one didn't work. We talked for a little bit, and all that I gathered from that conversation was that they belonged to a friend of a friend or something, and that they just didn't want the hassle of getting them repaired. Fine with me. :-) Off they went in the back of my truck.

What do I do the within the hour after I get them home? You guessed it, hook them up. It probably wasn't the wisest idea, I know, but I did let them warm up to room temperature at least, and I also took a quick ohm reading to make sure that I wasn't placing a direct short on my amps.

The result? Sound, and not half bad, except for one panel being completely out, and the woofer on the other one rattling and banging.

I'm still in the research (and admiration) stage here, having never had electrostatic speakers in the house before.

It won't be long until I rip them open, I'm sure. Any ideas of what I'm in for?

Cory

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Just scored some Martin Logans - Cory M. 18:42:27 12/13/17 (21)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.