In Reply to: RE: Ultralinear patent posted by Tre' on September 14, 2023 at 14:32:20:
To my understanding, yes, a number of manufacturers used slightly different taps with as little as only 2% difference in order to get around the patent. This results in a bowed curve.
Of course the tap values must be different depending on the tube; tubes being different from one another and all.
Your Tung Sol reference does not specify what UL was used, only that it was UL. The curves I've seen when the taps are set up properly look very much like a triode. Apparently though the family of curves you get varies quite a lot depending on the tube.
Since Arco controlled the patent and Hafler later went to Dynaco, I find it amusing that he knew how to get around his own patent and proceeded to do so.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Recommend driver for SE KT88 - Pabloaguas 12:34:36 09/12/23 (20)
- You could run that tube in ultralinear mode - Ralph 09:56:29 09/14/23 (18)
- RE: You could run that tube in ultralinear mode - Tre' 13:33:14 09/14/23 (17)
- you would short stroke the driver in an UL amp and never - elblanco 20:14:09 09/20/23 (1)
- RE: you would short stroke the driver in an UL amp and never - Tre' 08:09:08 09/21/23 (0)
- Ultralinear patent - Ralph 14:00:22 09/14/23 (14)
- RE: Ultralinear patent - Tre' 14:32:20 09/14/23 (13)
- RE: Ultralinear patent - tube wrangler 17:32:51 09/15/23 (1)
- Dennis, this guy is looking for you - Tre' 19:56:18 09/16/23 (0)
- RE: Ultralinear patent - Ralph 08:00:47 09/15/23 (2)
- RE: Ultralinear patent - Tre' 14:39:39 09/15/23 (0)
- 40% Just what Acro claims is optimum - Tre' 13:32:19 09/15/23 (0)
- tung sol 6550 UL plate curves at the recommended 40% tap - Tre' 15:58:19 09/14/23 (0)
- From a Acro pamphlet on UL operation showing different tap values - Tre' 15:22:58 09/14/23 (6)
- Circling back to the OP - Pabloaguas 12:19:33 09/18/23 (5)
- RE: Circling back to the OP - Paul Joppa 22:06:29 09/20/23 (0)
- Try the Russian 6E6P or perhaps the 6E5P - coronadope 14:41:58 09/18/23 (2)
- RE: Try the Russian 6E6P or perhaps the 6E5P - coronadope 14:50:36 09/18/23 (1)
- RE: Try the Russian 6E6P or perhaps the 6E5P - Tre' 17:18:43 09/18/23 (0)
- RE: Circling back to the OP - Tre' 13:50:14 09/18/23 (0)
- RE: Recommend driver for SE KT88 - Paul Joppa 08:28:32 09/14/23 (0)