Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Computer Audio Basics

" If you want the best fidelity, you should play the music at the native sampling rate. To do this in Windows you go to the Sound section of the Control Panel (I'm still using Win7, so this may be out-of-date) and under the "Advanced" tab of any connected audio device "Properties" there are two check boxes, one for "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give this application priority"

If you check them both, whenever you run your music player (say Foobar, or maybe even a web browser), the music will be played at its native rate and all other sounds will be blocked until you exit the application that is making sound."

Hi Charles. I thought that this did not seem right ( aside from other sounds being blocked) so off I went and checked it on my system using both my local file media player ( JRiver) and an internet radio station (BBC Radio 3).

As expected my DAC did not receive the native rate from the computer for either but that set in the Windows audio processor (I selected 24/176.4 to test). I would have expected the same with Win 7 and 8.1. except that at the time I had them they did not cater for rates higher than 24/96.

To get native rate audio in Windows you either need to have prior knowledge of it and select this in the Win audio player so that they match and switch of all other DSP functions or use a WASAPI or ASIO session or use kernel streaming. Fortunately both of my main computer music applications, JRiver and Qobuz, provide for WASAPI. I also happen to know that the Beeb run their internet stations as 16/48.

Edits: 09/17/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.