Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: yes, that is a very small baffle for "full range" reproduction

Yea, and that is why you don't try to target 35 hz with open baffle speakers. Instead target something like 60 hz, which only requires ~50 inches. And then if you add wings which are directed backwards, then the front baffle is maybe only a few feet wide, but then with the added badkward wings which would only need to be a couple feet deep, you can get to 60 hz. Then below your 60 hz open baffle speakers, you have your subwoofers, which are designed to avoid room nodes by strategic placement in the room.

There are tricks that you can play to "cheat the system." If the midrange/midbass drivers have high Q (i.e, 1), you can get a "bump" in the bass, and if you get lucky, will give you deeper bass from the midrange/midbass drivers, and end up with a fairly flat frequency response - if you are lucky...

One word of caution, wings which are directed backwards and parallel to each other can create box resonances which can muck up the midrange/midbass, so then you have to play with absorption and/or splaying the rear baffle wings outward at an angle to reduce those resonances.

If you are tempted to try open baffle subwoofers, my suggestion is to not, but if you want to go down crazyland, more power to you.

If you want to use open baffle speakers to avoid room interaction, yes it will help some, but waveguides/horns are much more effective for doing so, and lower distortion due to the efficiency gain, at least that is where I ended up - waveguides/horns have their own challenges though.

Retsel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: yes, that is a very small baffle for "full range" reproduction - Retsel 16:26:38 07/12/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.