Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: JBL Harlan

The Lansing Heritage site, which hosts those items I posted, has a lot of information including the amazingly large list of different systems that could be used with that cabinet. A single 130A or D130 are among the options listed. (The 130A was the woofer version of the D130, which had the aluminum dome for more treble energy. The 2220 is a direct descendant of these very old high-efficiency, low-excursion drivers.)

The cabinet as designed by JBL is ported on the bottom, standing off the floor by several inches. It's a beautiful piece of furniture if you are into the late-fifties look - though it's not exactly timeless!

I put it up for two reasons. First, it sits low allowing a very large horn to go on top and still be at an appropriate height. Second, it has a large internal volume which allows the use of high-efficiency drivers without the complications and time delay of a real corner horn.

By modern high-fidelity standards is is not a great acoustical design. The original has large expanses of unbraced wall, especially the front panel - in a modern interpretation I would brace all the panels, with 1x4 or 2x4 edgewise braces, and I would put some pretty thick absorbent on the walls - the original has 1" fiberglass on only half the walls.

The older JBL designs seem to have been worked out for unity damping factor rather than high-damping amplifiers. This was before Thiele and Small's work, and amplifiers with unity or near-unity damping factor were not uncommon. Modern software makes it easy to chose an appropriate amplifier damping factor and port tuning, which I would recommend doing unless (as in my mono vacation-cabin installation) you are really going for a fifties vibe in sound as well as looks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: JBL Harlan - Paul Joppa 13:42:08 08/14/10 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.