Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

My vinyl digitizing setup from a decade ago

I digitized a couple dozen LPs before I decided I didn't have the patience for it ;-) In my case, I had many of those titles already on CD so they were easy to rip to the computer. And then Tidal & Qobuz came along so they're also available via high quality streaming services.

I digitized my vinyl and removed major clicks and pops manually. Otherwise, I just digitized them as they were. I would digitize an entire side then break up the tracks manually and insert all the metadata manually as well.

I understand there is vinyl digitizing software that will help automate the process. I just used Audacity which is free and runs on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Phono preamp + HRT Linestreamer ADC to MacBook Pro:

It helped that this phono preamp has a variable output level control so between it and software
settings it was easy to get the levels correct without clipping.

PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter on loan:

The PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter combines the phono preamp with the ADC. These originally
sold for $2000 when first released. They dropped the price to $999 just before it was discontinued.
This unit could do hi-res PCM and DSD while the $300 HRT Linestreamer+ went up 24-bit 96-KHz
which I found to be more than sufficient. Interestingly a couple other 'high-end' companies came out
with ADC products for digitizing vinyl including Ayre. These were short lived products as audiophiles
can be a fickle bunch and interest waned. You can still find used PS Audio NuWave Phono Converters
for around $1000+

Audacity software on the Mac:

Edits: 03/05/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.