Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Schiit Midgard headphone amp

I recently bought a Schiit Midgard headphone amp and just wanted to pass on a few early impressions. On this particular setup I had been using a Schiit Vali 2++ with my HiFiMan Sundara open-back phones. I've also tried the phones with my Lyr 3 (which I primarily use as a preamp for my main speaker system.)

The interesting thing about the just recently released Midgard is that it offers a conventional 1/4" headphone jack but also has an XLR jack. The latter offers a slightly different circuit which Schiit calls the "Halo" connection. This circuit includes the headphones themselves in the amp's feedback loop. The XLR connection is required because the circuit needs the left/right ground returns kept separate -- Halo won't work with a common ground.

I've tried my Sundaras with both types of connections. With the conventional 1/4" jack the Midgard sounds pretty much like the Vali and Lyr -- very good. However, the Halo connection seems to improve the bass and lower midrange -- the best description I can offer is that it seems a bit more "3-D" than the normal connection.

The Midgard is only $220 which is a heck of a deal for something that offers a unique option like Halo. In my book Schiit continues to offer some of the best sounding headphone amps out there and at great prices. However, the Midgard does not have the option to include a DAC card like the Asgard and a few of their other headphone amps. You will need an external DAC. I use their Modi Multibit 2 DAC which I also really like. I have a general preference for R2R/multibit DACs over the Delta-Sigma options.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Schiit Midgard headphone amp - mlsstl 16:29:27 01/19/24 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.