Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: 28 AWG would be OK for "normal" headphones, but

I cannot comment on hard to drive headphones, since the headphone rigs I use are rather typical. I was concerned about 28 gauge for a headphone cable build, but found that many stock headphone cables involve fine gauge wire, with 24 AWG being a relatively large gauge for what is considered a typical headphone application. I considered 28 AWG for a 5 foot length to be sufficient for a pair of efficient AKG headphones.

Solid core twisted pair conductors are rare based on durability for use as a headphone cable conductor, but presents the same type of audiophile benefits as when used for other audio signal cables. What's most notable about the Spectrum Cu cable is the AirLok dielectric and the very robust jacket, with a Teflon tape wrap over the precision twisted pair for excellent flexibility while being very protective, and with an outer diameter that is small enough to fit two of the cables into an Oyaide 6.3mm connector, with extensive modification of a Neutrik/Rean mini-XLR connector at the load end.

With a pair of VH Audio V-Twist rca interconnects and a custom V-Twist/V-Quad USB cable placed upstream, I find the tonality of the Spectrum Cu to be balanced, neutral, and fast sounding, with excellent spatial cues, ambient information, and inner detail vs. typical stranded conductors, as well as what I consider inferior fiber reinforced fine gauge litz wire. There are many ways to skin a cat, and this particular high-performance DIY build is one of them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.