Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Stax Amps

Among the Stax amps, the one I like best is a SRM-T1/006 series amp modified by substituting a good constant current source/load (CCS) for the output plate resistors. It has adequate power for the SR-007 and is less expensive than the best Stax solid state amp, which is their SRM-727 with global feedback mod, or the SRM-717 stock.

However, the T1 CCS mod is mostly DIY, although I recently saw one on sale on eBay. As a DIY project it is relatively inexpensive as it cost me less than $100 in parts - and that includes replacing all the electrolytic caps, which should be considered routine maintenance for a 20-30 year old amp anyway.

The EL-34 electrostatic headphone amps are very nice but also very expensive - the standard here is the Blue Hawaii Special Edition designed by Kevin Gilmore and made by HeadAmp for upwards of $5000. Used amps appear from time to time but are still expensive as their value holds up (OTOH that also means that you don't lose much when you sell).

There are more options if you are into DIY, Many of the amps are designed by Kevin Gilmore, such as the KGST (a close relative circuit wise of the SRM-007, but with regulated power supply), the KGSS, KGSSHV (similar circuitry to the SRM-717/727 with more power in the HV version, and regulated power supplies), the KGSS Carbon with SiC FET outputs, KGSS Grounded grid with EL34 outputs, and the DIY T2, which is the Stax T2 that bankrupted the company, but with better heat management and a regulated power supply. That last runs over $10,000 if you commission someone to build it, and several thousand in parts cost alone.

There is also the SRX Plus, which is another DIY based on an original all tube Stax circuit with solid state support (mostly constant current sources and loads) to optimize its function. This probably has the lowest parts cost.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Stax Amps - JimL 12:18:26 09/18/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.