Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

My headphone system upgrade results ... so far

I've decided to focus on my headphone system for a while, given that my household environment includes other people who are bothered by my music least some of the time -- and make their own share of noise that I object to.

OLD headphone system:

= Realtek computer audio Speaker output
= Pro-Ject Head Box amp (older model)
= Sennheiser HD 555 'phones (open back)

NEW headphone system:

= Topping D50 DAC
= JDA Labs Atom amp
= Massdrop's HDXXX rebrand of Sennheiser HD 650, (open back) and
= Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm, (closed back)

First bought the HD 650's but realized that I was often going to need closed back for isolation for household noise, so I got the DT 770 Pro's

My overall conclusion is that my new system is much better than my old, being more detail & dynamic. However the greatest single upgrade I suspect was going from the computer's Realtek DAC to the Topping D50

The HD 650's are very smooth, clean, and well resolving but perhaps a little bland. Maybe the blandness is due to lack on dynamic drive by my JDS amp -- or maybe a little break-in is needed, or maybe it's my imagination.

The DT 770 Pro's also sound well resolving but seemingly less bland and/or just dynamically perkier than the HD 650's.

The JDS Atom amp can drive both these 'phones, (300 ohm and 250 ohms respectively), to satisfactory levels even on low gain. However it I were to go for any further upgrade it would probably be to the amp.

Dmitri Shostakovich

Edits: 08/08/19

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - My headphone system upgrade results ... so far - Feanor 12:49:49 08/08/19 (23)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.