Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

My playlist of "Guilty Pleasure" Tracks

These are the tracks I think many people might be surprised to learn that I listen to, from time to time. In a sense, these tracks will allow you to "Radio-Carbon Date" me. (That was a witticism.) The ranking is subjective, loosely based on each track's "Shock Factor." But looking at them chronologically oldest to newest is also interesting.

1. The Raspberries, "Go All the Way" (Eric Carmen), from Raspberries (recorded 1972).

2. Badfinger, "Baby Blue" (Pete Ham), from Straight Up (recorded 1971).

3. The Left Banke, "Walk Away Renée" (Mike Brown, Bob Calilli, and Tony Sansone), (single) (recorded 1966).

4. Linda Ronstadt, "Long, Long Time" (Gary White), from Silk Purse (recorded 1970).

5. Phil Ochs, "Pleasures of the Harbor" (Phil Ochs), from Pleasures of the Harbor (recorded 1967).

6. Richard Harris, "MacArthur Park" (Jimmy Webb), from A Tramp Shining (recorded 1967).

7. Hubert Laws, "Pavane" (Gabriel Fauré), from The Rite of Spring (recorded 1971).

8. Al Stewart, "Year of the Cat" (Al Stewart and Peter Wood), from Year of the Cat (recorded 1976).

9. "George Michael and Wham!," "Careless Whisper" (George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley), from Make It Big (recorded 1983).

10. Helen Folasade Adu, "Smooth Operator" (Sade Adu and Ray St. John), from Diamond Life (recorded 1983).

I look forward to the comments.

The link is to the Qobuz list. Here's the Tidal list:

https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/b44757df-6e9b-4419-b99a-9cb221f1001c

cheers,

john

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - My playlist of "Guilty Pleasure" Tracks - John Marks 06:58:48 10/22/23 (30)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.