Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Stacked Quad ESL-57 with high pass??

A properly functioning pair of original Quads will easily hit 100dB peaks. And with proper amplification it will hit those kind of levels without any signs of stress even with heavy bass content. I'm a head banger and like to hit 100dB+ levels at times. And I certainly like music with heavy bass content.

For the typical Quad owner, even me, it's really not a question of loudness or dynamics it's a question of bass extension. The original Quad produces virtually nothing in the bottom octave. While I am satisfied there are times I would like the bottom octave.

Why people want to cross so high is a mystery to me. What's the point? 100Hz is still too high it will impact the midrange unless one uses an extremely steep slop on the sub.

40Hz. Let the Quad run full range and blend in the subs around 40Hz. Done properly it will be seamless no need for open baffle, dipole, etc. type designs. It doesn't screw up the midrange the beautiful mid/upper bass region is intact and now one has the bottom octave.

Of course if the Quad in question is old there won't be much below 100Hz any longer so then yes cross at 100Hz.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.