Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Here you go

I know what you mean about the mud, having fixed the XO problem with the left woofer HPF filter and heard notably less of it.

This is one reason I'm eager to try FIR filters with the MiniDSP, phase linearity and a sharp cutoff, assuming I can do it without too much latency. Pre-ringing shouldn't be a problem once the sound recombines though differences in speaker placement and dispersion could result in imperfect summation.

It seems to me that if you want to run 6 dB/octave filters between the Tympani woofers and midrange you have to do some tinkering with the woofers themselves. Specifically, you'd probably want to direct the higher frequencies to a narrow section of the woofer (or just one section depending on how the dimensions work out -- which is already partly true due to the acoustic EQ). That would fix power response and minimize moving mass though it wouldn't favorably alter the mass density since you'd just be driving a smaller section of the woofer, meaning it wouldn't improve air damping. Another issue is that there's still a LF resonant section down at the bottom of the midbass panel so you could impair LF performance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Here you go - josh358 16:37:18 06/22/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.