Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

E V E R Y O N E P L E A S E R E A D

I honestly think I should have a little Golden Book made called "The MDF Frame That Couldn't".

It seems no matter how many times I say something people somehow miss the point.

1 - What happens has NOTHING to do with the method used to adhere the driver. How do I know this? Because I TRIED IT in an MDF frame. With the staples still in place, I added the SAME screws I use with the wood frames and (is everyone looking?) IT DIDN'T SOUND ANY DIFFERENT. The drivers were held with the new screws AND the old staples, and it did NOT make them sound better AT ALL. The drivers simply need to be not loose and vibrating, they don't require being fastened to death. This is a red herring.

2 - Everyone has to stop equating maggie frames with guitar bodies. They have NOTHING in common except being made from wood. Doors are made from wood, Kris Kraft boats are made from wood, salad bowls are made from wood. What do they have in common? NOTHING. Even the wood used is generally not the same. Maggie frames DO NOT RESONATE. Everyone has to stop thinking like this. For further proof I have used many different woods, and there is no difference in their sound. NONE

3 - Yes, wood has tone and will carry that tone. But the part you missed is tapping the two. You cannot feel the tap thru 10 feet of oak, you CAN feel the tap thru 10 feet of MDF. Maybe the mike can't hear it, but my fingers can feel it AND THAT'S WHAT MATTERS. I have said this before too, that one can tell a train is coming from 10 miles away just be feeling the rail, but you cannot tell it is coming feeling the wooden tie, not until it's too late that is. Even when it is close and VERY obvious in the rail, you can't feel anything when touching the wooden tie, and they are joined together. I also know this is true as I spent many hours on railroad tracks as a kid.

4 - I invite you to unsock a maggie in an mdf frame and turn the volume up. Go and look at the driver while it plays, and you will see a massive amount of vibration. If you then looked at the same driver at the same volume in a wooden frame, NO movement or vibration can even be seen. NONE. If the wood is not absorbing and dissipating this spurious energy, then please tell me what is? The mdf certainly isn't handling the situation well.

Again, I didn't raise this topic because I am unsure about the facts. There is no doubt about them. I simply have not explained them in the past to the physics professors satisfaction is all and I had thought that perhaps this time I finally did. Unfortunately I still don't know if I did.

best

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.