Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: 6BL7GT and 6BX7GT as drivers

I have experience with both of these types - and indeed some of the others mentioned.

I have used 6BX7 to drive a pair of 813s which it did very well. 6BL7s I am using in my line stage which like most of my stuff is "temporary".

I do not like E182CC/7119 - it is the one valvbe that I would say sounds nasty - a sort of sharp edge; 6350 is better if you like a sharpish sound - it is much smoother. 6463 is good too and these types are cheap although they are nowhere near the 6SN7 class when it comes to distortion.

5687 will work properly only if a lot of current is run through it; a glance at the composite curves will show that those exciting figures put out by the makers apply to 40mA anode current!

Choice of driver ultimately depends on how much gain is required; if there are to be two stages, then my favourite choice at present would be either 6EW7 (or the 10, 15 or 19V variants) or 6DN7. For those who do not know these, they are "dissimilar" double triodes used as line osc./amp in old TV sets. Both 6EW7 and 6DN7 have a section that roughly approximates to half a 6SN7, the other half being a beefy triode with mu of around 6 and gm of about7 - Ra is therefore in the order of 800 ohms or so depending on the current you care to run.

I have tested these thoroughly and their distortion performance is excellent..

Recommended.

7N7

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.