Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: 6BL7GT and 6BX7GT as drivers

HEy-Hey!!!,
I have not tried them on DHT but the triode strapped KT90. I slightly prefer the 5687. I found the 6BL7 a bit fuzzier and the 6BX7 a bit too sharp sounding. And the 5687 was juuuuust right. Kidding there. None of them sounded bad, minor nuance stuff. I am currently running a pair of 12B4A in an octal adapter I built and haven't taken them out after the first few swaps. The split plate 12B4 also looks cool with the exposed cathode glowing orange.
By the plate curves, teh lower gain tubes will give a bit more swing, but it is a small thing. I point to 7N7 and other's work to look for a tube with lower odd harmonic distortion and 5687 is about a quarter of the others. I will make another adapter or maybe a hole filler to use them direct wired. part of the 12B4 attraction is the gain is almost perfect. may try 5998 there if I can find one or two.
Tried a half dozen 7119 and did not like the sound, hard to describe why, but it wasn't as nice as any of the alternatives. Grainy and bland is probably as good as I can do without a shared listen.
regards,
Douglas

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.