Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: How 'bout FT Audio passive

As a matter of fact, I did get an LW1 from Paul a few years ago for an audition. I thought it was very nice indeed. Very close to the Modulus 3A I owned at the time, only missing the richness of vocals that I prefer by a smidgen. Had I been prepared to shell out the money for a top notch phono stage at that time, I might have bought it. But since I already had the AI with it's excellent phono capabilities, I passed on the LW1.

But, I still believe a TVC would best the FT Audio in dynamics and midrange presence, but it would probably be close again. My current preamp gives me the rich midrange of the AI, with better top and bottom extension. Especially bass solidity and control, nothing has sounded better in this regard. Just from mental memory, not a very trustworthy thing mind you, I think the LW1 would be as transparent as anything out there, but lacking the slight bloom and bass quality that I get with the TVC.

If you are looking to spend no more than 500.00 or so, I would recommend the LW1. And if he is still doing free in home demos, it's a no brainer.

Oz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.