Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Difficult question . . . or not.

Again, speaking from ignorance, I believe the McCormack and Bryston will be similar if not identical current output. Current and wattage are linearly related in similar designs. If the b&k delivered less than twice the wattage at 4 ohms than 8 ohms then you will certainly hear a difference with either the McC or Bry vs. the b&k. (current should double in a good design) But they may sound different in subtle ways.

There seems to me to be audible design differences between different "levels" of equipment but not within a level. Maybe in preamps there is more difference because the ciruit design is so much more susceptible to layout and materials. I am an expert in microelectronics so I can imagine the effects of trace dimensions and layout vs. material constants. But good power amps are good power amps. McCormack and Bryston have always made good, solid designs.

Of course you can read opinions on the internet that A "blows away" B and vice versa. Should my opinion be any better?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.