Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Difficult question . . . or not.

I don't know what wattages you are talking about but let's assume one is 100 w/ch and the other 150 w/ch. I suspect the difference in sound may not be significant just based on wattage (it's logarithmic). Instead I suspect any differences will be due to the designs of the amps and their "sound."

There is a nice little chart in an article in Sound&Vision by David Rananda that shows, for example, that the difference between 100 and 150 watts is only 1.76 dBW which is nearly inaudible.

I went from 105 w/ch McIntosh to 500 w/ch Classe' for my 1.6QR Maggies and the difference was enormous. I suspect it takes that kind of jump for the power output to make a "sound" difference. The Maggies sound just as good at low volumes now as they do loud. But when I compared amps at 100-200 w/ch the differences did not correspond to wattage. Design (brand) was the thing.

So I suggest you try to listen to both brands and take the time to "live" with them (not A/B test). Pick the one that sounds more musical day-in and day-out.

As for reviews; well I give up on them. I read them but get little help from them. All their subjective terms are useless in comparing equipment. Too bad, because I am not able to audition everything I would like to hear before buying. It's frustrating. I am looking for a preamp and it's a jungle. I think McCormack and Bryston are quality amps and either would not be a mistake. Pick one and be happy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.