Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I hate my Quads!

I have been an avid fan of Quad electrostatic speakers since I got my ESL-63 back in 1989. I could not understand where all this negative words about broken panels came from, my 63's had no panel problems under the more than 20 years I owned them. And I haven't heard any speakers that sound better, apart from the of lack sub-30Hz bass and high SPL:s we all know are the limitations of Quad ESL:s.

Enter the 989.

I upgraded to the larger version in 2014 after having used the ESL-63 with Gradient SW-63 (2x12" woofers) for some time. I wanted a less "complex" system, and did not need the bass performance of the Gradients for our music tastes. But these 989 was sent of for bad panels three times in a short time! I was beginning to see where all the bad reputation came from...

Out with 989, in with 2912!

I got angry enough to go on the phone and order a new pair of 2912, after having sent the 989 back and forth to the doctor just too much. Happiness entered our living room! The new speakers sounded perfect! But... a faulty panel showed its ugly face after some months. It was fixed under warranty. A couple of years everything was fine, and it happened again. This time they were repaired again, but paid by myself. No big deal, I thought it probably should not happen again.

But it did!

Here we go again. Same low level swooshing sound and silent pops from the other speaker! If somebody came around with just the tiniest amount of money I would let them go!

Why, oh, why?

Why can't Quad design speakers that I can thrust? Are there any speakers out there with very low distortion, but using ordinary dynamic drivers, that I can buy instead? I want to leave the world of Quad ESL!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - I hate my Quads! - PerStromgren 00:04:44 01/30/24 (44)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.