Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: update notes

OK, I've been listening with the above linked configuration. 3 antennas. (antennae)in use. All of them work. The dipole brings in the strongest signals and more stations. However the dipole also brings in quite a bit of 'hashy noise' which I have described in this thread as a kind of sibilant shhhh noise around human voices and also some instrumentals in the upper mid frequencies. I believe, after doing some reading, that this is the result of multipath reflections. The noise is more present on a sunny day than it is on an overcast day. So there is some effect imposed by the ionosphere above us.

After listening to the two best contenders at the moment; 1) the vertical whip automotive antenna that is roughly adapted for 75 ohm use by soldering on a 75 ohm balun... and 2) the dipole. Both of these, I believe, benefit by incorporating into this signal chain the RatShack FM-Trap and signal amp noted elsewhere in this thread.

One critical note: the vertical whip antenna sounds just as good and, maybe, delivers just a bit less hashy noise. Its signal strength is down (4 bulbs lit versus 6 bulbs lit for the dipole)but its quality is just as good if not slightly better than the dipole.

This makes me think that further efforts to optimize the vertical whip antenna may make sense in this room.

-Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: update notes - user510 12:59:54 06/20/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.