Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Can choke be used for power voltage regulation ?

You're talking about a "swinging choke". In the 1980's they were available in electronics shops for stabilising the mains voltage for such things as enlargers for wet process photograph printing, since the exposure would vary with line voltage, which gave inconsistent results. There was also a tube exposure meter in some old at that time equipment. Now that most photography has become digitised all that tech has been consigned to the dumpster.

I've had two swinging chokes from those days, but many years have passed and in one house move or another they were lost. They were a vertitable weight addition to any boat anchor.

I doubt it was much use to hifi as it works by core saturation. nothing good about transformers and chokes in hifi equipment which saturate.

Things are done better today.

Edits: 05/13/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Can choke be used for power voltage regulation ? - Paul Barker 22:05:05 05/13/22 (0)


Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Message:   (Posts are subject to Content Rules)
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.