Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Can choke be used for power voltage regulation ?

Hi to everyone,

I would like to explore the effectiveness of power supply voltage stabilization by using only the choke. I am focusing on the preamp or 1st, 2nd driving stage of power amp, talking about around 300V HT and 5-10 mA standing current.

Instead of using active device such as tube/transistor voltage regulation circuit, does CLC circuit could also provide the same effectiveness as active voltage regulator?

If CLC can regulate the voltage, for example 300V HT , tube 7mA standing current, does a small choke allowing 15mA with 20H but resistance being 500 ohm can regulate the voltage. As I heard that using choke for voltage regulation, the DCR for the choke better to be below 100 ohm DCR. Why is that, or does it make sense. but a bulky 4 kg choke used for preamp stage, seems overkilled

If your experience, how effective with high DCR choke like 500 ohm, 20mA 20H, would be able to fit the job as regulation purpose. I saw Audionote Ankoru use 20H small 20H choke for its 1st input stage. Is it a purpose to regulate the power supply voltage?

Thx for your input

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Can choke be used for power voltage regulation ? - Eric Chan 07:22:25 05/13/22 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.