Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: " Maybe I should be looking for a toroidal transformer"

"If you reverse connect a transformer you are running it outside of its design parameters."

Hmm... I'm not sure why you say that as a blanket statement. Of course with any transformer, whether reverse connected or connected in the standard way, it is always possible to run it outside of its design parameters. But if the transformer is reverse connected and the normal secondary (now being run as the primary) is not asked to pass any more current than it would when running as the secondary in the usual configuration, is there any reason why it would be "outside the design parameters"? (And assuming the voltages on the windings are essentially within the design voltages.)

Would the transformer even "know" that it was running in reverse-connected mode? All it knows is that a primary current within its design parameters is flowing, and a secondary current within its design parameters is flowing. Why would the transformer care?

Again, I am assuming both primary and secondary currents and voltages are kept adequately within design parameters. I think this was the case in TK's original example. (120V on a nominal 115V winding is within acceptable tolerances, I think.)

Chris

Edits: 06/14/17 06/14/17 06/14/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.