Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Disconnecting Relay sound like over-kill

You said
"One potential issue with delay relays has to do with the relatively small contacts"

Correct that also includes SS time delay relays.

You said
"The delay relay will power a main relay, and that one will be wired so it latches electrically. In addition, one set of contacts will be wired to disconnect the delay relay. So, once the amplifier is fully operational, the delay relay will power down and cool off. Not only will its contacts only need to pass a few mA to activate the HV, its heater will only be used for a minute or so each time the amplifier is turned on"

The disconnection of the delay relay is simply overkill I've run a similar scenario using 24V/30A relay activated from SS delay mains relay / timer for 10 yrs without fault. You can safely derate the DC current rating by 50% into a inductive load ie transformer and still be well under the DC rating. Relay coil DCR for 12-24V are under 1k ohm so the current requirement are small. But install a diode - reverse biased across relay coil to absorb back EMF on turn on / off. Seriously this configuration has been used in cross bar / step by step electro-mechanical telco exchanges for generations....bullet proof.

Johno

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.