Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: How often do you roll?

Yes capacitor rolling, but also circuit modding to lessen the capacitors. Be careful whose advice you take too. People advise caps which can kill youre tubes. Real old paper in oil caps need checking before use for shorts or leakage, capacitance value. visually inspeact for bulging or bursting, gew seaping out. wax caps, old Mullard Mustard coupling caps have good sound reputation among guitar boys. But out of ten I bought "nos" I would only use one, rest failed on capacitance way under spec in their old age high esr and likelyhood of passing dc.
Also had wax caps fail, wont name brand as still selling caps. The Russian surplus teflon caps worth using if you can get them these days. very popular 10 to 20 years ago.

Then there are other means of coupling to explore. L c L great avenue to try or one of the L,s resistor in other place whatever you can afford.

direct coupling. IT coupling.

biasing methods.

Then theres learning to roll power supplies chokes electrolytics topologies (LC, L R, CLC, CRC), methods of regulation. rectifiers, power transformers.

The journey is a magical mistery tour of discovery, which can empty youre bank account, but youll be a better person for the personal knowledge only you know what is what, by youre personal journey of discovery. People will always argue but most of those that argue with those who know from above experiences have no experience at all!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.