Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: "40% on the dial"

In the context of this discussion, the most important characteristic of any speaker used with a low-power, full-range amp is acoustic efficiency below 50 Hz. That's the portion of the spectrum most likely to cause clipping when the electronics runs out of steam. It's also an area where most speakers begin to roll off and where room reinforcement becomes more necessary. My current amp outputs about 3W per channel, but volume levels in my living room are more than adequate with most types of music. Bass is extended, and it can really pound the listener at frequencies so low, they can't actually be heard.

The trick to this (and I admit to achieving it accidentally) was the use of a large, rigid ported enclosure mated to a high efficiency, short-throw woofer with an Fs well under 30 Hz. In addition, I placed the tuned ports near the floor at the rear of the cabinets, and this energy, which extends to the low 20s, couples to the room in a way I have seldom experienced.

My point is that it can be done - and without the expense of esoteric bass horns - but everything has to be synergistic and capable of contributing to this result. If you can accomplish this, a few watts will go a long way.

Edits: 12/12/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.