Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: 300b set versus 300b parallel set

In pursuit of the best I could build many years ago I designed an 845 SET and was so impressed with it's sound against all I'd previously built or heard that it became the prototype of my still current Parallel 845 monos using essentially the same circuit but with better PSU. The result was better in almost every respect.

I do not subscribe to the theory of a single OP tube design having advantages over PSE and IME smearing is a theoretical myth. Sure, the tubes must be well matched and they can indeed creep out of balance over time but this can be mostly mitigated through careful design.

I posted a Spice analysis a long time ago actually backing the theory that relatively small tube imbalances can cause current hogging and this led me to pay closer attention to balance. I can attest that in almost 15 years of running these amps I've not experienced anything that would change my mind over the advantages of PSE outweighing the disadvantages, starting with lower OP impedance and additional headroom, which ultimately reduces distortion.

Whilst I chose 845s, I also experimented with 45s, 2A3s, 300Bs and 211s (mostly out of curiosity) and the result was more or less the same.

My 2C FWIW, and all that:)

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 300b set versus 300b parallel set - Naz 04:07:02 05/30/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.