Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Manley Massive Passive EQ *PlugIn*???

I had the plugin, which ran on UAD hardware. It was OK, but didn't have the magic of the MP. It kinda sorta emulated the MP curves, but without some of the MP's little eccentricities, and, I thought, with different phase characteristics. (The user manual, btw, includes a master class on EQ and phase. Download it from their site.)

I don't use EQ for room correction. For room correction, fix the room; it's not hard. A new not-quite-parallel wall or two can transform a problem room into something divine, at the cost of a few inches. Take a look at Steve Addabbo's live room (pic). It's 26 x 20 x 9.5, with the long walls not quite parallel, and with the help of those little triangles, it's as neutral a room as you'll find anywhere. (The structure in the back corner is a fold-out vocal booth.)

The only room-correction system I've heard was at a demo in Yamaha's New York studio, and that was some years back. If you were in two or three seats in the middle of the room, it was pretty impressive. Anyplace else it was a mess.

The most dramatic room treatment I've seen is in one of the Kaufman-Astoria Studio's smaller sound stages. It is big enough for the Met orchestra(100+), chorus (200+) and principals. It has reflective flat panels on the walls that give it an almost 3-second decay-time. Flip the panels on their hinges so their absorptive side is exposed and the decay time is about half a second. They also have a sound stage big enough so they could film a car race with real cars racing at speed on a real track. Such great things were/are shot there, including Nurse Jackie, Orange Is the New Black, and Sesame Street. With the demise of Avatar, I suspect they're getting get a big chunk of Broadway, opera, and orchestral recordings.

It's all good.

Cheers,
WW

"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.