Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Newbie here - Basic question

I'm new to all this too, so probably can't be of much help, and my approach is probably about 10 or 12 years out of date, but . . . if your budget is very limited and your intention is to mostly listen to burned CDs, why not just burn them to iTunes using Apple Lossless format?

That's what I've done in the past whenever I import CDs, many of which were checked out from the library. I usually play CDs from my own collection on a player as I've never gotten around to burning them all to the computer.

More recently, I'm using a few Apple Airport Express units to send music wirelessly (using Wi-Fi) to various systems around the house. The Express has a dual audio output. You can use its internal DAC and send analog out to a stereo or headphones. The same output is also a mini toslink digital output so you can bypass the internal DAC and use a newer external one, like the Modi3+. I just picked up a couple of the Airport Expresses on eBay. One was $13 shipped and the other was under $6. If you stream a lossless file from iTunes the output is also lossless.

I'm using the A1264 version of the Airport Express, which is the second version of the first generation, although some people mistakenly refer to as the second generation. Apple did make a second generation but they apparently have issues with audio skipping. Apple no longer makes or officially supports either version.

I'm sure there are many more modern and technically superior ways to do this but if you're on a tight budget this will work. I've mostly been using streaming sources off my computers (2012 Mac Mini and 2011 Macbook Pro) like Spotify, Radio Paradise, etc, all of which work fine like this too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Newbie here - Basic question - FlaCharlie 06:31:16 04/05/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.