Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: How do you determine it's MP3?

As Ivan says some repertoire is restricted for streaming. This affects only a small percentage of tracks available on Qobuz+ and may be a temporary situation only during the recording's new release period although all of some record company's repertoire is permanently so restricted e.g. Channel Classics.

This is because Qobuz, unlike most streaming services, offers not only streaming but also sales. So a record label may be happy to allow MP3 samples to encourage sales but not see any economic advantage to them from streaming. Sublime+ has introduced a further form of restriction where a full hi-rez download may be purchased but streaming is limited to redbook.

Much of the repertoire that is currently restricted from Chandos and Naxos will in all likelihood become available for streaming at full resolution after a period once it becomes back catalogue in their eyes.

So, when the logo on Qobuz says " available in hi-rez" it is correct but that availabilty may occasionally mean sales only.

As Ivan also points out the number of tracks so restricted has diminished recently and now only a limited range are so affected. You must have been unlucky in your choice. Out of over 70,000 albums available in hi-rez we are probably talking of a couple of hundred only (if that).

If you would like to, post or send me via a PM a sample list of what you are having problems with and I can verify if the same applies to me and the UK service.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.