Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Stax SRM-006ts - Opinions? Experiences? {NT}

I just found a really great sounding tube swap for the Stax SRM-006TA amp.
It is the best I have tried by far.
Ebay has a 6cg7 to 6sn7 adapter for $35 a pair including shipping.

I bought a pair, (about 3 weeks shipped from China), and tried all the NOS 6sn7 tube sets I had on hand.
GE 6SN7
RCA 5692 RED BASE
SYLVANIA VT-231

All but the GE sounded better than my RCA 6gc7 clear tops
or Amperex 6cg7.
By far, the Sylvania VT231 beat them all.
The phones sounded open and clear before, but they opened up another order of magnatude with the vt-231 tubes.
Front to rear, and side to side depth was vastly improved. Clarity was such, that I could hear faint background voices and extraneous noise picked up in the studio that were absent before.
Much more of a sense of listening to music in the outside air, rather than through phones.

Only drawback is you have to leave the cover of the amp off, as the tube and adapter, is about 2 inches too tall to use the cover. I am working on cutting a piece of 1/16" thick black lexan material to fit, with holes drilled to allow the tubes to protrude.
I may try some other 6sn7's, but for now, I am really enjoying the music with the VT-231 in adapters.

I believe it's really worth the effort.
mg16

Edits: 04/30/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Stax SRM-006ts - Opinions? Experiences? {NT} - mg16 08:57:52 04/30/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.