Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

I use the frequency tones on my old Stereophile Test CD

Specifically, the tones from 200 hz on down to 20 hz will tell you if you are getting flat bass response.

Listening to this CD (or another recording like it, with either speakers or headphones) you can find out, with a reasonable degree of accuracy, how low your speakers or headphones go before they start rolling off in the bass range. You will also hear any frequency response dips or peaks within that range.

You can try to compare the bass response of your headphones with those of your speakers but headphone bass sometimes sounds a bit different than speaker bass because speakers produce room interactions that headphones do not produce. But go ahead and make a comparison between the two, for all it is worth.

Of course, an SPL meter will give you a more accurate idea of the kind of bass response you're getting in your room. But a frequency sweep recording is a good place to start.

If you have flat bass response in your room from 20 hz - 200 hz, you can be sure that any bass on a recording will be made audible - if indeed it is on the recording to begin with.

Edits: 11/29/21 11/29/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.