Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Yesterday, my Audeze LCD Xs arrived. Within minutes, I was

reminded of the overarching importance of the last link on the audio chain.
With zero warm up, I experienced Immense soundstage, with back/front cues easily heard on various classical selections on Qobuz. Highs were crystalline, rich, extended; midrange: Callas, Tebaldi, and... Robin Lane sounded better than I've ever heard them; bass: Mic's drums sounded, well, percussive throughout "Then Play On."

These are magical instruments, deserving of all the kudos they've received. I've owned Koss (ESP9, if memory serves), Stax electrostatics (cannot remember the model but they were over 1000 bucks, 35 years ago...), and Sennheiser 650s most recently. The X are another class, another animal, altogether. After a full day of listening, I returned them.

I just could not support their weight: they are very, very heavy. The head straps do their job--- perhaps it's my 72-year old neck, but I couldn't listen for very long, at a time. And I couldn't recline with them on, either, very comfortably. It is reported that they easily can be driven by a smartphone, but walking around with them would be absurd.

If the weight doesn't bother you, I don't see how you could expect a set of headphones to sound better.

Systrem: Streamed from Samsung s10e to Audiolab 6000N to headphone jack of MAC 1900 receiver to the Xs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Yesterday, my Audeze LCD Xs arrived. Within minutes, I was - tinear 16:59:43 10/01/20 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.