Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

The A77 was and still is a great RTR deck...

A restored A77 still makes a great recording to this day. There are a lot of people who still look for techs who can restore A77s. If you ever want to pick up some spare change you might want to look into restoring A77s. It may not be as big a thing as it once was but it has a healthy following.

Don't misunderstand my attitude towards digital recording. I do have a dedicated digital setup with a dedicated DAW that records up to 24/192 PCM and it makes some dammed fine recordings. My reluctance towards digital is only about absolutes and that is kind of crazy...so consider the source.

I even kind of enjoy editing digital PCM recordings but they are just one step removed from an original. All copies are no matter what the technology.

I wish that someone could come up with an analog technology that does not suffer from degradation on subsequent copies. The DBX disc had promise if they could ever have solved the pumping sound caused by warped or misaligned center holes on LPs. When it worked it was impressive.

There are so many technologies that are like that. How many products seem to get good just before they are discontinued? Redbook CDs are finally getting to the point where they can make the most from 16/44.1 and its better than ever. Just this past year RIAA reported that new LP sales topped CD sales for the first time in decades. CDs are disappearing just as they are starting to deliver closer to their original promise.

Thanks for the Stax link, it is interesting. When it comes to electrostatic drives for the SR-009S I have read there is one that gets recommended as the absolute best...the Headamp Blue Hawaii (see link below).

I don't know if you are familiar with these drivers but they get top marks every time someone rates an estat driver. Maybe Stax developed that new link you sent to me as competition. I would like to read something about these two products compared.

The dream headphone system is the Stax-009S plus the Blue Hawaii...and now the Special Edition ($6900). When you reach this kind of product I am sure it is very small differences between the models. And Woo Audio's 3ES Elite Edition is a new TOTL estat driver. That driver has a $13k asking price. All tubed with every high end passive component, etc, etc. So now we are talking $17k+.

Of course the price tag is multiple thousands of dollars but full sized estats can be a crazy expensive headphones. You have to love that kind of performance. Personally it makes me drool. Yeah...sick, I know.

Anywho, thanks for the Stax link and enjoy those FH7s. I totally agree with you about speakers vs headphones but there are times where a great headphone is so perfect. Late at night or when you are doing critical mastering/recording.

God, this stuff is cool.

Ed
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The A77 was and still is a great RTR deck... - EdAInWestOC 13:00:35 10/17/19 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.