Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Loud doesn't mean quality. . .

Good question! I'd need to see a schematic of the headphone amplifier to find out what's going on with the impedance selector.

On the other hand, if the 5-volts output is dropped across the internal impedance and the headphone impedance, it would reduce the maximum power values I calculated in my previous post. If that were the case, then the maximum power delivered to any headphone would be 25% of the values previously calculated when the selector switch is set to match the headphone impedance. The maximum power delivered to any given headphone would be as follows:

[5 / (selector impedance + headphone impedance)]2 x headphone impedance = power

For example, suppose you had headphones with 20-ohms impedance and the selector switch is set to 20-ohms. The power would be as follows:

[5 / (20 + 20)]2 x 20 = 0.3125-watts

If you had an 8-ohm headphone, the maximum power that could be delivered to that headphone would be:

[5 / (20 + 8)]2 x 8 = 0.2551-watts

The maximum power delivered to any headphone would occur when the impedance selector switch is set to the same value as the headphone impedance.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.