Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Almost pulled the trigger, but...

Among the numerous praises I've seen for its "neutral, flat" sound, I saw this one guy's comment on a youtube review thread and decided to stick with my Staxen.

"I saw a deal on ebay an pulled the trigger without halving listened to them. Reminder to self: no impulse purchases anymore....

They are FAR from neutral. The tonality is extremely skewed towards bass. Treble is very rolled off. They are dark sounding headphones for bassheads. I have the Ether CX, and for me that definitely stays my reference! I also have the LCD 2 closed, and that is tonally somewhere in between the CX and the NDH 20. More bass than the Ether and less than the NDH 20. Defninitely more highs than the NDH 20. Maybe in terms of tonality, the LCD 2 closed is the most pleasant of the three, but the CX is technically better and more resolving. To my ears, the NDH 20 is not resolving at all, e.g. cymbals are muffled. This is a good headphone for EMD, but don't try classical or acoustic music with it. You're missing half the detail and sparkle.

The NDH 20 has great bass quality (great extension and fast decay) but it's just too much. In the treble region I miss the CX's and LCD 2c sparkle."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.