Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

High-end CD player vs. DVD-A; an A/B test comparison

I must say tonight has been a revelation for me. I just picked up the new Denon universal player today and hooked it into my system, which is 2 channel. I work at SoundTrack in Colorado, and do extensive demos of SACD and DVD-A. The SACDs and DVD-As smoke the CD versions of the same tracks in every system we have in our store. The Denon has proved my favorite universal player so far, so I grabbed it. At home I have the McIntosh CD changer, and after hooking up the Denon decided to do some CD/SACD/DVD-A demos. The amp/pre are a Rogue Magnum 66/88 combo, and the speakers are Logans. All the cabling is Audio Magic, including the power cords. The one difference is that I have the next better grade analog cables on the McIntosh. I was expecting a lot from the SACD/DVD-A player. However, in every A/B I did, the McIntosh matched the SACD and DVD-A. I used Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, and the Police for comparisons. The differences were subtle at best. So now I wonder whether SACD and DVD-A will take off or not. Based on my instore demos, I would have said yes. But perhaps a high-end CD player, like a McIntosh, or Rega or some such, will do the job better. And considering how many CDs are out there it looks as though high-resolution audio might have a ways to go. Maybe Krell's new SACD player will change my mind.

Oh well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - High-end CD player vs. DVD-A; an A/B test comparison - Arafel 22:22:15 05/12/03 (17)

You can not post to an archived thread.