Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: DVD-A recording

***Just out of curiosity, what are you using to burn DVD-A discs? Do you have a DVD burner that can do this? ***

All you need is a DVD recorder, a PC (doesn't even need to be super fast), and DVD-Audio authoring software. If you want to capture to a PC, you need a good ADC with the ability to transfer data to your PC (many people have an Alesis, it seems), or a 24/96 soundcard to record (rip) directly from your PC.
If you have an old 500mHz PIII machine, you can easily create a small workstation for a limited budget (less than $1,200).

I use discWelder Steel from Minnetonka Audio, as several inmates on this forum. So far, it is the cheapest entry point into authoring DVD-A. If you're interested, there's lot of information in the archives, that you can easily retrieve. There's also a story 'Burn your own DVD-As" on the www.dvd-a.dk website that Lars B runs.

Vinyl LPs: Several inmates record their LPs on DVD-A at 24/96, perhaps you can search the posts of Akimball / Anevsky on this. Others use DVD-A to archive live music recorded at 24/96, try searching recent posts niconico,but also from professionals who have experience of higher range equipment.

Some here also do music DVDs (DADs), which allow 24/96 in LPCM just like DVD-A, but is more complex in the authoring. The inmate Ducati does that.

Hope this helps?

***Increasing bit depth to 24 bits will definitely improve dynamic range.***

Provided I work with already recorded PCM material, I don't think I can improve dynamic range. But I was hoping that increasing bit depth would help reduce clipping when normalizing tracks.

Any thoughts on that? (I also use SF, and sometimes CoolEdit.)

Best

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: DVD-A recording - Eric LeRouge 10:23:52 05/08/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.