Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Mike, smell the coffee...

Mike,

I neither work in the industry nor do I have a "defeatist" attitude.

As a matter of fact, I embrace the technology and promote it every chance I get. The more people that buy into hirez and hidef, the more content will be made available. That benefits me directly.

With this content comes copy protection. You may not like it but it's a fact of life. No CP, no hirez or hidef content. I don't consider CP and the mechanisms to enforce it a defeat in any way - I consider them a victory for all of us. CP provides content producers a means to claim their fair share of the pie. By doing so, it simultaneously provides consumers assurance that high quality content will continue to be produced and distributed in accordance with the rules of the marketplace. This is good.

I think you misunderstand to some extent how our system works. When an inordinate ROI is obtained in one sector, capital quickly moves into that sector which then lowers the ROI. ROI is thus effectively equalized over all sectors over time. Impediments to this mechanism generally do not serve either the supply or demand side in the long run. Without CP, the price mechanism is broken and while demand will certainly hold steady (something for nothing), supply cannot operate on this priciple. Supply will inevitably dry up and we are all the losers for it. With CP, the price mechanism is re-established (and regulated by ROI equalization) and supply and demand can go merrily on their way. That's the view from the big table.

Austin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.