Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: But what does it mean?

Hi Rod,

I don't think these figures reflect what happens in the brick & mortar channels at this point.

To be sure, this is not a representative sample, but merely an indication of the fact that DVD-A editions can outsell CD editions.. even if it's in a very specialized distribution channel. I was also interested to see that the US market is interested in classical titles.. and that the German market in pop/rock (I would have thought the opposite).

I'll be honest, the fact that Yes / Fragile appears to be #1 on Amazon.com, and Queen NATO #1 on Amazon.de is a bit disappointing to me, I would have hoped that a more recent title leads in sales. But Warner's strategy to re-issue old classics seems to work : )

I guess my main conclusion would be: if you have a small or medium sized record company with a DVD-A product line, it's probably easier to concentrate your marketing effort on trying to get your products positionned on Amazon (and in particular Amazon.de), than through a brick & mortar retail network (with a lot less inventory). Easier said than done, I guess..

Of course, all the audiophile websites are also a natural target.

Perhaps it would be interesting in the future to do this 'snapshot ' analysis on a regular basis (say, every two or three months), and see what happens.

Best

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: But what does it mean? - Eric LeRouge 07:59:08 05/05/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.