Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Well, wellfred...

That's precisely what DVD-Audio is supposed to be: DVD for audio, without the need for video content required in the DVD specs. Perhaps they could rename it DVD-M, but I doubt it.

The stereo tracks are not an obligation in the DVD-A specs, and it is left to the author to decide what should be included on a DVD-A disc. The specs specify the need for stereo downmixing compatibility for the MCH tracks.

Having said that, Silverline is the only company currently not releasing titles with a stereo track. All other publishers include a "true" stereo version in their titles: in the DVD-A section (PCM 24/96) and on the DVD-V section (DD 2.0). A number of publishers are using the PCM 24/96 for both the DVD-A and the DVD-V section.

I do not have the Aaron Neville titles, so I don't know if they include a stereo section. They should.

As I'm sure you know, stereo tracks authored in a DVD-A can include much higher resolution (24/192), although there are still very few titles available. When you try one of those, you will notice the difference. This is the highest resolution for audio available today.

You should definitely investigate other labels in addition to Silverline.
There's a good list of reference recordings on www.dvd-a.dk

Best

Eric

PS: You're right, all things considered, it's a mess :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.